LaTeX Editors are a document preparation system that offers various important features that are designed for making scientific and technical documents. Many such tools have a built-in PDF viewer to see the output of the work.
These applications allow you to insert tables, images, mathematical symbols, scientific notations, and more. You can also use these programs to make documents in collaboration with others.
Following is a handpicked list of Top LaTeX Editors, with their popular important features and website links below each of the topics. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) software.
Top LaTeX Editors, You need to use
TeXmaker is a document editor software that supports Unicode, auto code completion, and many more. This software has an integrated PDF viewer which offers a structure view for fast navigation.
- Easy to use and configure.
- You can collapse the code (code folding).
- Compile the code with ease.
- You can insert more than 370 mathematical symbols.
- It provides a wizard to generate a quick document.
- This Latex software can automatically locate warnings and errors.
- You can search for the text in the folder and subfolders.
- Supported operating systems are windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
Kile is an IDE for LaTeX Editor that automatically completes multiple line codes. This editor software supports more than 16 languages. It helps you to code faster with no hassle.
- It offers Java documentation.
- This editor provides a function signature as you type.
- You will get a tooltip on mouse hover.
- Provides support in email.
- Uses machine learning models for Java language.
Overleaf is easy to use cloud-based collaborative LaTeX editor software which allows you to view the document’s history. You can insert images, scientific equations, bibliographies, and many more.
- Overleaf offers a wide range of templates.
- It makes writing, editing, and publishing documents quicker.
- This application offers a real-time preview of code.
- Share with other people effortlessly.
- You can switch to LaTeX and Rich Text mode.
- Find LaTeX errors in less time.
- You can track changes and comments in real-time.
4) LaTeX Base
LaTeX Base is a web-based LaTeX editor software. This software automatically compiles the code as you write it. It also allows you to publish and share the document with one click.
- It offers syntax highlighting.
- This tool provides familiar keyboard shortcuts.
- It allows the user to work in offline mode.
- Integration with file storage services like Dropbox and Google Drive.
- You can add images in the document.
TeXStudio is an IDE for creating LaTeX documents. This tool allows you to make changes to multiple positions in the documents at the same time. It can complete the code automatically as you type it in the editor.
- This tool offers more than 1000 mathematical symbols.
- You can bookmark to keep references to important places in your text.
- References and filenames are converted into links when you press control and mouse click.
- You can copy, paste, and insert table columns with one mouse click.
- It allows you to drag and drop images to the editor.
Authorea is an online LaTeX editor software. It allows you to write and publish data with ease. This application supports commenting to discuss the changes in real time.
- It helps you to manage versions of documents without any hassle.
- Authorea helps you to start developing using templates.
- This app provides 24×7 hour support.
- You can convert documents from PDF and Word.
- The tool can add rich media to documents.
- It offers collaboration in real time.
- The supported platform is the web.
Emacs is a Unix based text editor tool which is used by programmers, engineers, students, and system administrators. It allows you to add, modify, delete, insert, words, letters, lines, and other units of text.
- It offers complete built-in documentation.
- Emacs provides full Unicode support for many human scripts.
- The tool is highly customizable using Emacs Lisp programming.
- It has a packaging system for installing and downloading extensions.
- Supported platforms are Mac, Windows, and Linux.
Miktex is an open-source LaTeX editor. It offers an easy to use installation wizard. This application has an integrated package management system.
- It offers a complete set of styles, programs, and fonts.
- This program provides the latest software updates to keep your it up to date.
- Supported platforms are Windows, Mac, and Linux.
9) LaTeX Workshop
LaTeX Workshop is an extension of the visual studio code which can automatically build a PDF on save. You can quickly switch between text file and PDF.
- This software offers numerous shortcuts to work in ease.
- It allows you to view PDF files in the browser.
- You can press alter and enter together to start writing on a new line.
- Preview on hover on math tags.
- The command can be typed using “\”.
- The supported platform is an extension.
LyX is a document processor application. It helps you to write using the WYSIWYM editor. It offers easy to use GUI. It also enables you to edit mathematical formulas and scientific equations without any hassle or problem in inserting it.
- It offers good support for tables and floating numbers.
- You can compare various versions of the document.
- It offers automatic completion of the text.
- You can export the document as PDF.
- This program supports tables and captions.
- You can write multilingual documents.
- This app allows you to track changes.
- You can experience the same ease on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
With that with come to the end of our list of the best LaTex editors you should get a hands-on in 2021. Choose the one that fits your requirements and let us know in the comments section which is your favourite LaTex editor among them all.