Among all the network management tools, the network configuration tool is probably the most important network tool. Also, it is difficult to find the optimal network configuration tools for your network, unlike other tools.
As the networking industry continues to develop and evolve, the configurations are becoming harder to solve using traditional methods. Apart from the conventional networks, now we have to manage cloud infrastructure, software-designed networking, the Internet of Things (IoT), and a massive number of devices.
To manage such heavy features, organizations have to use better tools to manage this ever-growing and dynamic modern network industry. These tools should have the capability to handle changes in several devices simultaneously across different platforms and cloud environments.
There are several tools in the market that you can choose from, but it is crucial to find the right one. Some tools are only capable of offering basic features, while others have exceptional functionalities and features. Here is a list of the ten best network configuration tools in the market.
10 Best Network Configuration Management Tools
rConfig is capable of detecting every device on the network and will simplify the process of network configuration. It also has several other features such as custom Scripting, automation, compliance management, reports, configuration backups, etc. The key features of the tool are:
- It is a simple-to-use network configuration and compliance tool with advanced logging options for pinpointing and addressing several network issues.
- You can customize this tool according to your preference and take snapshots of mac address, arp tables, routing tables, and different devices’ status when required.
- Apart from enhancing your network’s security, rConfig has excellent reporting, alerting, and notifying options.
- You can take snapshots of the device connected to your network in regular periods.
- You can even schedule the configuration recording on single or multiple devices, which gives you direct access to their status.
The Batfish is an advanced network configuration and analysis tool that uses open-source technology for its platform. It can help admins automate the configuration changes on multiple devices using the Cloud or the on-premise network. Batfish will also run a mock simulation to understand the impact of the configuration changes before they are done. This feature comes in handy to resolve network issues that might affect the security of the device or network. Its key features are:
- You can watch the network behaviour on your on-premise or cloud infrastructure.
- The mock simulation will help you understand the impact of network configuration to avoid issues in network performance, security, and availability.
- 24/7 monitoring of the network to ensure security and detect any vulnerabilities.
- Batfish can map out all the devices connected to the network to gather accurate network information.
- It can help you visualize a patch across the on-premise, Cloud, and hybrid networks.
- The Sandbox feature is an excellent advantage if you want to understand the severity of changes before committing them.
SolarWinds is a Network Configuration manager tool with several comprehensive features and intelligent tools that can automate the network configuration tasks. You can easily manage changes, restores, backups, compliance, etc. It is a robust tool that can strengthen the network, make configuration changes and back up settings while discovering and retracting misconfigurations. Some of the key features of SolarWinds are:
- You can monitor configurations, detect changes and easily roll back to a previous configuration whenever necessary.
- SolarWinds can audit configurations and ensure security while being compliant with all regulatory policies and standards.
- It can keep a regularly maintained inventory of all the devices connected to the network.
- SolarWind is a scalable platform with the capacity to manage several devices and improve their reliability and uptime.
- You also get daily email reports about unauthorized changes and modifications.
- To make configuration changes, you can directly send it via push notifications, reducing errors and saving time.
ManageEngine is a robust network configuration manager that can automate end-to-end network configuration and management. This tool can also detect every non-compliance device across the network as well as configuration changes. The key features of ManageEngine are:
- The software uses a web-based GUI to enhance network configuration management and to track user activity. It can immediately detect changes and send instant notifications.
- ManageEngine can automate backups for the configuration settings and automatically rollback if there are unauthorized changes, misconfigurations, or failures.
- You can remotely manage your network using a mobile app.
- You get access to centralized storage that contains encrypted configuration files.
- Using ManageEngine, you can perform bulk operations on devices connected to the network from a central place.
5. WhatsUp Gold
WhatsUp Gold is a one-stop solution for all network configuration and management needs. It can support all types and sizes of networks and has all the features such as management, backup, automation, auditing, regulation compliance, etc. The key features of WhatsUp Gold are:
- You can automate several network management tasks such as monitoring, configuring, adding or removing devices, etc.
- Chart a detailed infrastructure map of network devices, servers, configurations, traffic flow, virtual machines, etc.
- You can enforce and audit compliance with SOX, PCI, HIPAA, FISMA, DSS, and many more.
- WhatsUp Gold has a customizable dashboard and a user-friendly GUI.
TrueSight, formerly known as BladeLogic Network Automation, is a robust automation tool. Apart from helping you automate the network’s management, it can enhance the network’s efficiency, security, and compliance. Also, it is an affordable and quick configuration management network. Some of the key features of TrueSight are:
- It has fast and secure automation that can make configuration updates across several devices on the network.
- It has an intelligent configuration change tracking tool that can automatically rollback if there are problems.
- You can monitor all the devices’ configurations in real-time and generate reports to view their status.
- It has a multiple login feature which is very beneficial for teams.
WeConfig makes all the network management and configurations very easy to handle. You can easily configure, change, or update devices using automation and bulk deployment. It eliminates the time-consuming processes and saves you time and effort. Some of the key features of WeConfig are:
- You can test a configuration before applying it and easily roll it back to previous stable settings.
- It can perform enhanced event logging and notify you about the changes.
- WeConfig can easily integrate with other diagnostic tools and improve the efficiency of the network.
- It can collect all the information of the devices on the network in a single place.
8. Netline LineDancer
Netline LineDancer or NetLD is a simple, feature-rich network configuration management tool. It can manage and detect all the changes in a network device to provide you its software and hardware information, inventory reports, etc. Some of the key features of NetLD are:
- It can automatically detect all the changes in the configurations.
- NetLD has good reporting, altering, and alarm features that notify you of the changes.
- NetLD is a scalable tool with attractive packages for every budget.
Pulseway is a multiple account network management and configuration tool that has multi-device support. You can manage devices on the Pulseway server, cloud datacenter, or on-premise servers. It works on every operating system and has these key features:
- You can customize rules and receive instant alerts on any configuration changes.
- It has multi-device support and works on every OS for desktop and mobile.
- You can remotely manage your devices such as switchers, routers, and firewalls.
- You can integrate this tool with other tools to improve the efficiency of your network.
ConfiBack is a free network configuration management tool that supports Windows, Mac, and Linux OS. This tool is ideal for small businesses as it is free and reliable for a small network of devices. Some of the key features of ConfiBack are:
- It is an open-source project that allows the users to comb through the programming code.
- Confiback is free of costs and will work efficiently to secure network devices for a small business.
- You can schedule the network configurations to backup automatically at a regular interval.
A network configuration and management tool will help to improve the availability, reliability, and consistency of the network. Using these, the companies can better manage every device on the network automatically and save countless hours. It reduces the manual effort and can take care of delivering configuration changes to every device automatically.