I have always been a major Geography nerd, and it was my favorite subject back in school as well. Something about this subject fascinates me, and I have always been very curious to know the world’s different countries, states, and cities. And when it comes to playing games, my love for geography is one of the primary reasons I was utterly in love with the game- GeoGuessr.
If you haven’t heard about this game before, GeoGuessr was launched in 2013 and is one of the best geographical location guessing games.
When the game was launched initially, it was free to play.
However, the developers made the game premium after Google increased the prices of its Maps API. Hence, GeoGuessr became a paid service, and you now have to subscribe to the premium version.
After the decision was rolled out, I started looking around for GeoGuessr alternatives. Fortunately, my efforts did not go in vain, and that is what I will share in this article.
So if you want to know about the best free GeoGuessr alternatives you can play, please keep reading until the end.
Also Read: Solitaire Game Apps for Android & iOS
Why is GeoGuessr so popular?
GeoGuessr is a geography game platform for geography lovers. And even after it became a paid service, it is still widely loved by many.
The game runs based on Google Street View, and you are randomly distributed to a place. And then, you have to guess where you are by taking the help of different hints and clues.
For example, you can look at the cultural landscape, the vegetation, the language displayed on the street signs, and so on.
And if you guess an incorrect location, GeoGuessr tries to help you by letting you know the distance between the place you thought and the actual site.
This game helped me learn about different geographic regions back then, and it didn’t even feel like I was studying.
The game is also compatible with PC, Android, and IOS platforms. But the free version has limited game modes, and you will not be able to enjoy all the game’s different features.
Best Free GeoGuessr Alternatives You Can Play
After testing and drawing multiple options, mentioned below are my recommendations for the best GeoGuessr alternatives you can go for.
I will also mention the features so you can choose according to your convenience and requirements.
So let’s get right into it.
GeoGuess is a free, open-source game that is fun and is a solid alternative to GeoGuessr. I found it to be straightforward and sorted, and that’s the beauty of it.
You will get a randomly generated image, and your main goal is to guess the actual location by examining that image.
The platform works based on Google Maps; you get latitude and longitude for reference.
There are 5 rounds, and you can even participate in the multiplayer mode to play with your friends.
The process to do that is simple.
The first player will have to create a room and determine the size.
The rest of the players can join that room by typing the same room name, and then the game will start.
The game is decentralized, and you can easily host it yourself by connecting to a GitHub account.
Moreover, GeoGuess is also available for translation into different languages, like Russian, French, English, Swedish, Portuguese, etc.
Besides being fun, the game is an excellent way to learn about different geographical locations worldwide.
I will highly recommend checking this one out.
- GeoGuess is free and open-source.
- You have to guess the actual location of a randomly generated image.
- You can also play with your friends in multiplayer mode.
- The platform is decentralized; anyone can self-host by connecting to a GitHub account.
- You can translate the game into multiple languages.
As soon as I tried out this game, I just knew I had to add it to this list. Hide and Seek World is a free game that offers an entertaining user experience and allows you to participate in multiplayer mode.
The best part is that the game uses the classic Hide and Seek’s primary concept and has put a unique twist on it.
The platform divides the players into different teams, and various rounds include 1 hider and a couple of seekers.
You get to travel across other countries to find hints and clues. There is another interesting feature that was lacking in GeoGuuessr.
An example is the ability to see where the other players are playing from, like an airplane or a car.
The game will show you an image of your current location to help you find out where you are present.
Finding any particular landmark or street will be easier if you are familiar with different areas and surroundings.
If you are a seeker, your main goal is to find the hiding spot of the hider. You will win points if your guesses are correct.
If you are a hider, your main goal is to choose a tough spot that is difficult to find.
Apart from that, you can also participate in trivia quizzes and create your own challenges for the players. If you are working remotely, it is a great option to try with your team.
- It is a free multiplayer game.
- Members are divided into teams randomly, and you must guess a location by looking at its picture.
- You can create your own challenges.
- The game lets you chat with your teammates via text during the session.
- You can see where the other players have been.
- There is a map for all players and their current locations.
- You will have an advantage if you are familiar with your current location and surroundings.
3. City Guesser – Best Free GeoGuessr Alternative
If you loved GeoGuessr, I could bet on it that you will fall in love with City Guesser too. It is one of the best GeoGuessr alternatives on this list because it is similar to GeoGuessr in many aspects.
Firstly, there is a significant similarity in terms of the layout and the interface. The game also works in the same process.
However, City Guesser uses video instead of Google Maps API. The best part of the game is that it is free, and you can play with people from around the world or even from your city.
There is also the option of creating games so others can join in. The notable game mode here is the multiplayer mode.
You do not need to register or create a new account. You can simply click “Start Guessing” to proceed with the game.
There is a wide range of countries to choose from, and you can select any based on your preference and start browsing videos to guess the location.
You can also play worldwide, where the game assigns you a random location.
Another thing I really like about this game is that I was not bored at all. The difficulty level kept varying, and the game sure knew how to keep me on my toes.
I would highly recommend trying out this one.
- The game is entirely free of cost.
- It is a multiplayer game.
- You do not have to register or create an account.
- You can even create your own game.
- You will get a random location from which you will have to guess where it is.
- The difficulty level keeps on changing.
Geotastic is a free crowdfunded geography game.
If I have to explain this game in just a single phrase, you can think of it as an online quiz for geography. Geotastic uses Google Maps and actual data to monitor your current location.
There are multiple game modes including random street views, popular landmarks, and a flag guessing mode.
The first thing I really appreciate about the game is that there are a lot of customization choices that allow you to play the game according to your preferences.
It keeps track of how quickly you have guessed the answers, and there is no separate scoring system or time limit.
Another factor why Geotastic is an excellent alternative to explore is that the game has an entire community of its own that also votes to choose the best players every week.
That’s actually quite fun! Apart from that, the game organizes a live community event per month, the details of which you will be able to view on the website.
Moreover, you can play this game without being a Geography expert, but you will have an edge if you are familiar with the names of different places and locations. And according to my experience, having a good memory also helps.
There are no nail-biting competitions or hardcore tournaments. You can simply enjoy exploring different cities worldwide and guess the locations.
- It is a free geography quiz game.
- It is entirely free of cost.
- There are a lot of customization options to explore.
- There are multiple modes and challenges.
- There is no specific scoring system or time limit, but your speed is monitored.
- The community votes for the best player every week.
- Live community events are hosted every month.
Ducksters is another top free GeoGuessr alternative on our list.
It was recommended to me by a friend, and I am so glad to come across this one.
It is one of the best free alternatives to GeoGuessr, and the game has the right geography-related challenges and questions to tickle your brain.
The quests are interactive, and you can judge how much knowledge you have of the globe. Ducksters uses Google street view images from around the world and lets you guess the location. There are also crossword puzzles, word searches, and state maps to help you out.
I loved the interface of the game and the calm vibes it brings. The backgrounds are primarily based on natural elements, like ecosystems, deserts, oceans, lakes, etc.
You get three rounds to guess as many locations as you can. You can give your answers by choosing that area on the map. If that area gets marked in red, your guess is incorrect.
Another great feature of this application is that apart from geography, there are a lot of other areas in which you can test your knowledge, like biography, history, science, etc.
A wide range of topics and challenges will keep you hooked on this game for hours.
Be that as it may, I would recommend Ducksters for kids as a great free GeoGuessr alternative.
- The game is available to play for free.
- There is a wide range of games, fun facts, and activities.
- You can play online or print out the puzzles to play with friends and family.
- The interface has a soothing vibe.
- You can also test your knowledge of other subjects like science, history, etc.
6. Where Am I
Where Am I is another GeoGuessr alternative that is seriously worth checking out. You might already know what the application is all about from its name.
The process is simple- it will show you places on the screen, and you will have to guess the location.
The first thing I noticed as soon as I launched the platform was the incredibly minimalist website.
It is plain and straightforward and will directly display a street view picture for you to guess the location.
It can be confusing as the game will randomly put you in a location out of nowhere. But it is an excellent choice for geography lovers who are up for a serious challenge.
- The platform is free to use.
- It has a straightforward interface.
- A street view image appears on the screen, and you must guess the location.
- You can play this game on your smartphone too.
- There are no ads to interrupt your gaming session.
World Geography Games is an enjoyable free alternative, and it totally deserves to be on this list.
The games are suitable for people of all generations, and I wonder if you will ever be bored.
Upon using the platform, you will agree that World Geography Games has all the material you might need to educate yourself on general knowledge, and it can even help you in your upcoming tests.
One of the main reasons this platform became very popular is because they use visual representation, which helps attract attention, and the users are engrossed in it better.
There are multiple quizzes to participate in about different topics, like oceans, seas, countries, flags, etc.
When it comes to quizzes, you will not find other alternatives that match the World Geography Games.
However, it does not feature 3D maps and videos. But if you can keep these cons aside, I highly recommend you check it out.
- It is entirely free for you to play.
- The platform offers fun and informative quizzes on multiple geography-related topics.
- People of all age groups will enjoy this platform.
- You get a picture of a location and have to guess the country it is in.
- You get 5 chances to guess the correct answer.
- You can translate the website into multiple languages.
- The game does not contain any 3D maps or videos.
- There are 4 difficulty levels to try out.
8. Get Lost
Get Lost has been around since 2009, and I have used it multiple times to know that it is an excellent free GeoGuessr alternative.
This geographic discovery game features a wide range of random street maps but mainly focuses on the US and India.
My favorite feature is that there are no restrictions on time or distance. So I can explore at my own pace.
Get Lost displays a street-side image using which you can determine the latitude and longitude to narrow down the options.
You get 5 rounds to guess correctly, and your current max score is 5000 points. If you think it is easy, be aware because many critical clues, like the license plate number of a vehicle, have been erased.
However, I did find a few flaws. You might not like it if you are looking for something more complex and feature-rich. Firstly, Get Lost does not let you save or share the guessed locations.
Secondly, it does not support multiplayer mode either.
But it is fun and exciting even with the single-player mode, and you should definitely check it out.
- The platform mainly focuses on US and India.
- It uses Google Maps to track geolocation data.
- You will have to register an account first.
- There are no limits to time or distance; you can explore at your preferred pace.
- There are more than 500 locations to explore.
- The platform does not support multiplayer mode.
- You cannot save or share any guessed locations.
The maps on this platform are pretty interesting, and the games and apps they offer are entertaining and are currently being used by millions of users across the globe.
However, it does not feature any 3D maps and videos, which is the only difference concerning GeoGuessr. playGeography is more about geography quizzes, and I love that I can access everything for free.
There are 5 game modes to explore, and you get more than 10 games and approximately 30 questions with each mode. You can set different difficulty modes for each game mode.
Another point to remember is that you can use this website using any device you prefer, and you do not need to download or install anything.
In my opinion, the platform can make some improvements in terms of customer service and help center. More help services are required to help out the users.
I would like to add another plus point- there is no need to create an account, and you can enjoy the plethora of quizzes without paying anything.
- It is a free alternative to GeoGuessr.
- There are plenty of games to try.
- You get to explore 5 different game modes.
- The platform contains a variety of quizzes.
- You can play this game on your smartphone too.
- There are no 3D maps or videos.
- You do not need to create an account.
This is one of my cousin’s favorite platforms, and I was desperate to try it after she raved about it multiple times.
The game is very accessible and can run on any computer as long as you have a stable and active internet connection.
Zoomtastic lets you view satellite images of the locations just like Google Maps. However, there is a slight twist here.
And it is that the location labels are turned off. That is not a significant issue, as it is necessary to maintain the game’s mystery.
But compared to GeoGuessr, the number of places added are less, and so is the number of views. So you might need help to estimate accurately.
If you are highly interested in geography and have a basic knowledge of the locations in the world, you will get the hang of it pretty soon.
There is only one game mode to explore, which makes it simple and straightforward.
- The website lets you use satellite images of the locations like on Google Maps.
- There is a lack of 3D videos and maps.
- You can play the games and quizzes for free.
- The range of places added on the platform is average.
- There is only one game mode to try out.
- You do not need to create an account.
I have seen this one getting recommended multiple times and wanted to try it out. Mapcrunch uses Google maps street view service to transport you to a random location. And on this journey, you will be able to come across the public, cars, buildings, and other places.
As a player, your main goal is to figure out the specific place. An exciting feature of this game is that there are many game modes to explore, like casual, adventurer, explorer, stalker, and so on.
You can play this on your desktop entirely for free.
- The game is free to play.
- It uses the street view service of Google Maps.
- You get transported to a random location and need to figure out that specific place.
- You get hints and clues to get to your answer.
- There are multiple game modes.
12. Lizard Point
As soon as I started with this game, I felt that the website did not give off a gaming vibe. It looks more like an educational platform from where you can receive geographical knowledge.
However, after trying it out, it was quite fun and definitely worthy of being on this list.
Like most games here, you are placed in a random location on the map, and you need to figure out the city, state, or country in which the place is located.
The difficulty level is somewhat on the higher side, but you will get the hang of it if you are familiar with reading maps.
Lizard Point has two primary gaming modes. The first gives you 60 seconds to look at a picture and guess the location.
You will get points for guessing correctly, but only if your guess is correct. The second mode is similar to the first, but the only difference is you get points even for the wrong guesses.
This is a fun game, and I am sure you will be happy trying it out.
- The website follows a very minimalist design.
- It is a good game for improving your geographical knowledge.
- You are given a random location, and you need to figure out where it is.
- The game is free to play.
- The difficulty level is slightly high.
- There are two main playing modes.
Mentioned above are my recommendations for the best free GeoGuessr alternatives you can play to test or improve your geographical knowledge.
All of them are incredible and do a decent job of offering fun and helping you learn simultaneously.
However, if I have to pick a favorite among these, it would be City Guesser. Apart from being free, the interface is also quite vibrant and friendly, and you do not even need to register or create a new account. T
here are multiple game modes and levels with varying difficulty that will make sure you do not get bored.
Another bonus point is that you can even host your own game to play with friends and family.
I hope this article has been helpful and you find the best suitable GeoGuessr alternative from this list.