Roll20 is one of the most played role-playing games on the internet that offers the player ease of playing the game from anywhere and anytime. You can play various games that come preinstalled. It provides an amazing tabletop experience but if you have been looking for roll20 alternatives, you have landed upon the right page.
In this article, we will be listing down the best alternatives of Roll20, so without wasting time let us dive into the list!!
15 Best Roll20 Alternatives
1. Dungeon Painter
As one of the best Roll20 alternatives, Dungeon Painter is also used as a tool to make RPG map designs. It has a set of 5 tools to help you design your map, and it also gives you access to a great interface so that you can interact with your dashboard in a better way. Using the Dungeon Painter will help you improve your map-making, and using it will make it very easy for you to build your map too.
Features of Dungeon Painter:
- The awesome interface and a studio-like structure help you interact with tools in a better way.
- It has a module that makes it easy for you to make lands on your map.
- Its lake client tools help you build roads, rivers and set the size of the world map.
- It lets multiple people join the same server to design a map together.
- With DPS early access, Dungeon Painter also provides you 50 high-quality lap printer textures.
2. Astral Tabletop
Astral Tabletop is famous for its smoothness and how it provides one of the easiest ways to build your Dungeon map, which makes it one of the best alternatives to Roll20. This alternative of roll20 has a lot of features that help you to build a map even if you have not much idea about how to use it. This is a web-based service, and available for free. So, you can download and start using it right away.
Features of Astral Tabletop:
- Its remarkable easy interface makes it very easy to host or design a map.
- It is a web-based service, which makes it lightweight as it doesn’t take any storage space in your device.
- The visual effects and sound effects provided by Astral Tabletop are too good, which gives you a better gaming experience.
- Effects like dynamic doors, lightning, and other objects provided in Astral Tabletop takes up the gaming experience to another level.
- You can invite and play with your friends online.
3. Battleground: RPG Edition
Battleground as one of the famous RPG map-making app-based services, which makes it one of the best roll20 alternatives. This is not a free service, but if you plan on buying its subscription, it will give you a gaming experience that you might have never experienced in any other free service. The visual and sound effects that you can add in the game are too realistic and improves your gaming experience.
Features of Battleground: RPG Edition:
- It has an awesome interacting UI.
- Multiple tools to help you build your map.
- You can add action figures, multiple awesome visuals, and sound effects.
- Using Battleground: RPG Edition lets you develop maps for Dungeon and Dragons, D2 Craft, Role Master, and Savage World.
- If you are in a battle, it has other visual effects like the fog of war that you can add to improve your experience even more.
- It is available on macOS and Windows.
Mipui is also one of the Roll20 alternatives, useful for making multiple maps and playing with your friend. This is a web-based service that lets you build your map using multiple tools and visual effects. With an excellent understandable interface and responsive tools, using Mipui gets very easy. You can invite your friends and start playing games on the map you built right-away.
Features of Mipui:
- An easy and user-friendly interface lets you interact with the tools in a better way.
- You can add files directly from your computer, as it has no restrictions to use its own files only.
- It saves itself in your cloud and updates every second, so if your PC crashes, you don’t lose any data.
- It is a web-based free service and can be accessed using any browser.
PlanarAlly is also one of the websites like roll20, which helps you in making dungeon maps and discover multiple fictional worlds. Its user-friendly interface also makes it very easy to use. This alternative to roll20 is available in both formats, as a website, and as an application too. You can choose to download its app, or you can play it online as well. Both services are almost the same and don’t make much difference.
Features of PlanarAlly:
- Easy to navigate and go through all the tools and make use of them.
- A customizable dashboard makes it easy for you to arrange and use tools in a better way.
- It has multiple visual effects and sound effects that can be used for a more realistic experience.
- It is available for free to be used.
Inkarnate, just like other alternatives to roll 20 is used to design maps and play with your friends. It brings the fantasy from the digital world to our original world. With its advanced visual and sound effects, it makes the game more realistic and easy to play. The simple interface and easy-to-use tools are very helpful and can be used to make maps more efficiently.
Features of Inkarnate:
- It is a web-based free platform to make maps and play with your friends.
- Multiple visual effects and sound effects make the game more interesting.
- It does not require any installation, so it doesn’t eat any space in your PC or any other device.
- Even though it’s available for free, it has some Pro features too that can be purchased.
By using this role20 alternative you can start creating your map from scratch. You can collaborate with multiple friends or designers to make your maps and worlds. This is also one of the sites like roll20, which can also be used instead of roll20 for building maps and your world of Dungeons and Dragons play with your friends.
Features of MapTool:
- It is available for free and can be accessed through any web browser.
- Maptool lets you use third-party applications and use their functionality e to give you a better experience of making your own maps and worlds.
- The game has a very simple interface, which is very easy to understand.
- Java module integration eliminates all the bugs from your system, which might interfere with your gaming experience automatically.
8. Campaign Cartographer
Just like any other Roll 20 alternatives Campaign Cartographer also lets you build maps and your world to play with your friends. It has multiple tools and effects, which include visual effects and sound effects to be used for free. This is an app-based system, which comes with requirements of Microsoft Windows 10, 8 and 8.1, Windows 7, Vista, XP, or 2000 in your PC. Even if it’s an app-based platform it is available for free and can be used to play a Dungeons’ games for free without any interruption.
Features of Campaign Cartographer:
- It lets you and your friends join a community to play the game.
- The interface used is very easy to navigate and understand.
- It requires CC3+ runs on any modern PC.
- It is a free app-based platform for you to be used seamlessly and play with your friends without facing any trouble.
9. GM Forge
When it comes to sites like roll 20 GM Forge is one of the best RPG game maker provided with lots of tools and facilities for you to make maps and worlds. Tabletop gaming more realistic by using its visual and sound effects and the functionalities provided in the game is top-notch. One can customize its design according to their requirement. You can also combine your designs with your friends to come up with something new.
Features of GM Forge:
- An easy to use interface makes it very user-friendly.
- It offers you to join online communities where you can interact with people from all over the world using GM forge.
- There is a live chat module and customer support feature placed in the game.
- You can download this game and start using it right away as it is available for free.
- You can also connect this map-making game with other third party e platforms to improve your experience making your maps.
10. Fantasy Grounds
As one of the roll20 alternatives, Fantasy Grounds have a lot to offer when it comes to RPG structures in your tabletop game. Its tools and a separate module for getting fantasy ground already loaded, make it very easy for you to design your maps. The tools you use are highly customizable, which lets you use them as per you requirements. All these features of Fantasy Grounds make it more than worthy of being an alternative to websites like roll20.
Features of Fantasy Grounds:
- Easy to use and manipulate controls, lets you design and play in your maps easily.
- This game offers some unique features like token integration, battle map cave, dungeon creation tools, and data libraries to save your game.
- Fantasy Grounds also involves realistic 3D characters, which improves the gaming experience, and it feels a bit realistic to play in that condition.
- This is an app-based service with three types of packs in the game, Demo, Standard, and Ultimate release.
Rolisteam has improved the gaming experience of role-playing. As one of the roll20 alternatives, Rolisteam also offers some easy to use tools and visuals. These tools are easy to use, and the visuals offered by Rolisteam are realistic. It has other multiple sets of packages, which help to improve your gaming experience to another level.
Features of Rolisteam:
- An easy to navigate and understandable layout.
- It has an integrated music player, a character sheet to keep a track of all the players, many drawing tools to design your map, a unit converter, and a name generator to choose your names as you please.
- supported in multiple operating systems, and every system has access to its unique features of Rolisteam.
- It is an app-based service with a free license.
EpicTable is also one of the sites like roll20 to offer RPG tabletop gaming. Just like others, it also has easy to use the tool and a user-friendly interface. It contains multiple panels, which makes it easy to navigate from one section to another. It also contains a feature that notifies you about new game-related updates.
Features of EpicTable:
- An easy to use interface.
- It lets you use third-party plugins in their system.
- has a powerful dice roller, which improves your dungeon and dragons experience.
- It is an app-based service, supported in Android and iOS, but it gives a cloud-based system for PC users as it has no app available to download for PC.
13. Adventurer’s Codex
Adventurer’s Codex is a 5e gaming Dungeon and Dragons system that comes with a package of system operations for all the characters in it. As one of the roll20 alternatives, it supports almost all the functions in roll20 and has some additional features of itself as well.
Features of Adventure’s Codex:
- It presents Dungeons and Dragons in a different enjoyable way.
- It offers SRD and enhanced role-play for a better gaming experience.
- has a user-friendly interface.
- It has quick stabilization and relatively more characters to offer than other roll20 alternatives.
- It is a free web-service supported in all kinds of devices.
The features of Dundjinni are mostly similar to roll20, which makes it one of the perfect roll20 alternatives. It is considered as one of the most advanced and full-featured maps making programs. The interface is easy to use, and it also lets you build gliding places and embed text in the game, which is not offered by many of the roll20 alternatives.
Features of Dundjinni:
- It comes with unique character abilities and interactive tools.
- Its visuals and sound effects are realistic and give you a better gaming experience.
- It has a user-guided structure and easy to navigate interface.
- It is an app-based PC service, and it can also be played online.
15. Beyond Tabletop
The last in the list of roll20 alternatives is Beyond Tabletop, which offers a subscription-free web-based service for you to create your maps and enjoy RPG games with your friends. Its guided-structure improves your role-playing experience in Dungeons and Dragons. Its features are just as similar as roll20, which makes it one of the worthy roll20 alternatives.
Features of Beyond Tabletop:
- It has an easy to use interface.
- has multiple tool-sections to improve navigation in the game.
- It contains RPG character sheets and simple mapping too.
- It is a web-based free service accessible on every device.
That’s all we have got, for now, role-playing games are fun and adventurous. If you too are a fan of such games and have been using roll20 for so long, we arranged you a list of best roll20 alternatives.